Monday, August 6, 2007

Our Cake

Oh, Yes... our beloved Cake. My husband is a lifetime fan of Star Wars (& I also enjoy it, although I don't claim to even begin to know as much as he does!) I wanted something different, & as I thought about it... I thought why not Star Wars? We talked about it & I told Corey if he could find two appropriate figurines for the top we could do it. Anakin & Padme were ruled out (since Anakin becomes Darth Vader), so the next step was finding Hans & Leia. We looked for awhile... & during one of our routine Target visits we found the Galactic Heroes Death Star Escape Pack (every visit to a Target includes a trip to the toy department to check out Star Wars figurines... I guess that is what I get for marrying a former Toy Store Department Manager!) The next step was finding a design. I spent several hours on the Internet, I would have thought I could have better luck finding ideas. Finally, we met with Theresa Stroot, & she said she was game to try just about anything, but recommended trying to do a background from the movies. So I went back to the drawing board & designed the cake myself.

The background is supposed to be the hallways of the Death Star (for those who do not know, that is the Space Station that was created by the Empire to destroy planets.) In Episode IV, the Rebel fighters go to the Death Star to destroy it & save Princess Leia. The set up for the cake has C3PO & RD-D2 on the bottom in the hanger. The next level up is Chewbacca & Luke coming around a corner to face a Stormtrooper & an Empire Droid (R2-Q5). On the next tier one finds Darth Vader fighting with Obi Wan Kenobi...

...& finally Hans saving his beloved Leia! Sounds like a perfect ending to me.

It tasted great too! The two side cakes also had figurines on them. One had the Jedi vs. the Sith pack, while the other one had Darth Vader & the Bounty Hunters. When it was all finished & I was looking at our figurines I realized we had 3 Darth Vaders! I guess if what they say is true that all good things come in three... perhaps we should be worried! For now the figurines seem to be doing a great job guarding the guest bedroom...
Posted by Picasa