Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Camp Needlepoint

Here we are at my beloved Camp Needlepoint! It is the first of two weeks, & we are celebrating 50 years of camping with diabetes. I think that is awesome... we have a couple hundred campers each week, most of which are on insulin pumps. The kids range in age from 8-17, & do a variety of activities. (Swimming, sailing, cannoeing trips, kayaking, horseback riding, rock climbing... & the list goes on.) I am here for two weeks as part of the medical staff, & Corey is here the first week. He is a counselor for the trailblazers! He is in charge of ten (10 & 11 yr old) boys, along with his two co-counselors Shampoo & Levi! I think they have their work cut out for them. For those who have heard of the treacherous "Beach Path"... Corey having fully experienced it, now believes that I wasn't just being a complainer when I said it was tough to go up! It is definatly one of those things that one must experience first hand to understand.

Opening campfire found Corey somehow the center of the Trailblazer counselors' skit (he said they told him to do as he was told, as he they were a little challenged at getting organized). I missed half of it as the medical staff was a little slow at getting to campfire (we couldn't decide what to do either.) He was working on his spitting for the skit (I think he was just pretending!) That is about all I can figure out (I don't remember the whole skit though... since most of the time they seem to recycle the same ones every year.)

They were however more prepared then us... on the way to the front, a little surprised (& unprepared Medical Staff) decided on Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer... since we never get to sing Christmas songs at camp! It went over pretty good. Not sure if the kids really liked Rudolph... or if we got away with it because of who we were.

Here they are getting ready for a rowdy all camp game of Capture the Flag. Corey's cabin was on the blue team (as you can tell by the face paint). The real chaos didn't start until later when the Major Thunderstorms and Straight Line winds came through camp. I had the "privilege" of being the one to spend the night in the Medical Center... & hence greet everyone in the basement of the dining hall when the Sirens went off. A few male counselors got chosen to entertain the campers in the large room that felt like a sauna (my glasses fogged up when I walked in!) Finally a little after midnight the campers went back to their cabin...
Posted by Picasa