Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Papal Blessing...

Today we got up extra early (5:30 to be exact), to get dressed for our audience with the Holy Father. When we went to get the tickets yesterday we were told that he does not greet each couple individualy as JPII did, and the time has been extended to one year instead of two months. So we got a taxi this morning and arrived at St. Peters at 7:15... the gates were to open at 8, with the audience starting at 10. It was cool and windy this morning and my veil went flying through the crowd... someone caught it and Corey had to go running after it to get it back. I paid a little more attention to it after that. Getting in was a mad rush (like it usually is when going to see the Pope... everyone wants to be close.) We were seated in a special section on the stage for the newly weds. I think there were about 40 couples. We were in the third row (so I figured there was no chance that we would get close enough to Pope Benedict). Thankfully Corey is tall enough to get some good pictures... and he is getting very good at using our camera also! The weekly catechesis was from the Gospel of Matthew talking about loving our enemies. Of course the Gospel reading and Catechesis took over an hour as it was done in about 6 different languages. (And we had some German bands playing short songs for the Pope.) Afterwards he did the Papal Blessing... extending it to those family members not present (especially the sick and children.) He then started to go through a row of important people before he headed to the newly wed section. We were trying to get close (but for those who have been there before, you will remember all of the guards that are watching your every move... so I was not having much success, plus I did not want to be close if Corey was not there with me.) We got some great pictures being in the next row back (we managed to get a little closer...) Then the guard moved so we could get against the side barricade. I was going to take a picture since I thought Pope Benedict was leaving once he got to the end of the row, but the guard signalled me to get the camera down... and there he was. In front of us. I think we are still both shaking a little. We had maybe 30 seconds each, to look at him, and kiss his Papal Ring... and then he moved on. It was awesome! And really too much to put into words. Definately the highlight of our trip. We were the seventh couple... he met three more, and then was gone again. Tomorrow we are going to look at the professional pictures that were taken and order some of them. From there we took the bus back to the hotel to take a nap for awhile (this getting up early stuff is hard on us!) Then it was off to Mc Donalds again... and the internet. I think I have had more fast food, pizza and pop on this trip then I have had in the last year!

My internet time will be much more sparse the rest of the trip... it at all. I will add the pictures and the missing days when we return. Please continue to keep us in your prayers, as you are in ours. God Bless, and take care.